Communications Lead (12-month term)
The Canada West Foundation has an opening for an experienced communications professional for a 12–month term position (maternity leave coverage), expected to begin in January 2020.
The position provides hands-on communications leadership for all aspects of the Canada West Foundation – including writing and editing, strategy, external communications, media relations, content creation, internal communications, issues management, social media and website content. The successful candidate should be an exceptional writer, and fluent in both policy and current affairs. CWF’s look and feel and content itself sets it apart; working closely with the Head of Design is essential.
• Work with the CEO, VP, research directors and policy analysts to develop and implement communication strategies for CWF research.
• Write and edit a variety of materials, including research reports, policy briefs, news releases, op-eds, newsletters, annual report, impact reports and blog posts, with clear, thoughtful, impactful writing on policy issues.
• Build media relationships. Pitch stories to local and national media. Coach and prepare CWF experts for media interviews.
• Day-to-day management and strategic updates of cwf.ca.
• Share CWF’s work with supporters, partners and other interested groups using CWF’s digital platforms (video, blogs, podcasts, social media) to amplify reach.
• Develop relationships and organizational capacity to disseminate CWF policy ideas and research widely in the public sphere to key audiences including governments, industry, individuals and foundations.
• Work with Head of Design to ensure CWF’s distinct look and feel in all aspects of communications.
• Report and track communications efforts, with a focus on impact.
• Prepare and post social media content (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn).
The successful candidate should:
• Have a degree in communications or journalism or a related field of study, or equivalent experience; a minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a communications or public affairs role.
• Be comfortable with deadlines and fast-paced workflow – there is no “typical” day in the office.
• Have outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Be able to write and edit with style, authority and ease on issues that matter to the West, and all of Canada.
Salary and benefits package will be commensurate with experience.
Please note CWF has a dog-friendly office environment.
Closing Date: November 1, 2019.
For instructions on how to apply, select the pdf below.
We thank all candidates for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canada West Foundation is an evidence-based public policy research think tank focused on issues facing the West, and Canada as a whole, at home and on the global stage. Our three research centres – Natural Resources, Trade & Investment and Human Capital – focus on some of the biggest issues affecting Canada today. For additional information about CWF, please visit cwf.ca