Author: Michael Holden
Alberta’s oil sands have become the focal point of an ongoing debate about the benefits and costs of resource development. To get a sense of how this debate has been unfolding, Michael Holden, Senior Economist examined the news stories that have dominated oil sands coverage in recent months from selected local, national, US and international sources. Five broad themes emerged:
- Pipeline construction & market access
- Regional tensions & regional cooperation in Canada
- Government policies toward oil sands development
- Foreign investment & control over the oil sands
- Social licence to operate & reputation managementFrom Dead Ducks to Dutch Disease reviews these five major themes and examines what some of the implications for the industry might be.