At the Intersection: The Case for Sustained and Strategic Public Infrastructure Investment
Release date: February 6, 2013
At the Intersection: The Case for Sustained and Strategic Public Infrastructure Investment, is based on over 200 studies and shows a strong link between public infrastructure investment and long-term economic growth. Currently, Canadian public and private infrastructure assets, which are used daily and enable our economy to function, are valued at $4 trillion.
At the Intersection proposes five recommendations to help grow the economy and maintain our quality of life:
- Sustained and strategic investments in Canada’s public infrastructure should be continued.
- Priority should be given to public infrastructure that enhances economic performance.
- Governments should encourage innovative approaches to the design of public infrastructure.
- Governments should not focus exclusively on new infrastructure and should give due consideration to renewing existing public infrastructure.
- Ongoing analysis and evaluation of recent public infrastructure investments should be conducted and the lessons applied to future investments.